Tuesday 5 April 2022

Time for T means Tuesday And a bit of Tunnel Travelling!

WARNING! A long post! I haven't been joining in with T  for Tuesday just lately, so I'll start with a nice picture of a very naughty chocolate cake! As we were feeling a bit 'off' with the C bug, we stayed home until we were cleared but instead of traveling off to... Cornwall...as planed, we went to, Kent, where I was born. We still stayed in a 'Log Cabin' but it wasn't in a wood. It was very nice, although it was on a fast road... in fact, Kent has changed sooo much, I was a little disappointed. The Apple and Cherry Orchards I remember going on forever had all gone, in fact even the Farm had gone too! (nothing much to replace them, just overgrowness and rubble where the farm barns and cow sheds had been) And there seemed to be nothing but motorway after motorway after motorway. Definitely not the Garden Of England I remembered. Still, it was many decades ago! I recognised where we were, and told hubby John...''Turn left up here!" then left again, down a old single  track concrete 'road' where the row of bugalows were still there. They were 'tied' cottages back then, which meant, they went with the job... so if you lost your job, you lost your home too.  Most of the bungalows had lost their lovely front gardens, to be replaced with makeshift drives (or crushed rubble) for the new owners to be able to park their many cars  and 4x4's.  Nearly all of them had garages now. No one needs a log or coal shed these days...and I'm sure we also had an outside loo, (for when you were working in the garden) The back gardens were big too...lawns, vegetables gardens. Greenhouse, even a place to chop up your fire wood! 

No one answered the door where I lived and where my brother was born. So I took a quick picture. Then after introducing myself, I asked the lady now living where Mrs Cornford lived, if I could take a picture. (At least their drive had been bricked and the old metal crittall windows had been replaced with really nice ones and the front door now had a new porch. 

She didn't seem very happy, and said 'as long as you don't take pictures of my cars' Well, why would I? Her new wooden garage took up an area of what was once a tiny slice of the Cherry orchard. So we moved on.

 My first school (with one room that could be divided into two, (5 to 7 year olds) had gone too, and that was now part of the field that had always been there. Then on to my second school....(5 to 11 year olds) which was now a home for someone. The next stop was the sweet shop I remember going through double doors and buying blackjacks and fruit salads, 4 for an old penny, wasn't there, and had never been

 a sweet shop!  It was a pub! ('Yay' said John!)They were really lovely and the group of gentlemen sitting outside supping their beers when we arrived, told me where the long gone sweet shop used to be. 'You go round the corner here-go to the old tin shop and he'll tell you all about it' and he did! 

Lorries, parked on the motorway waiting to go into Dover. No P&O boats.

Later we passed lorries waiting on the motorway because there were no P&O boats sailing as they'd suddenly 'retired' all their workers.

Here's some of the P&O boats at Dover docks. I thought it would have been bigger than that.We stopped for a cupper and I saw this....

I think these will be springing up everywhere!

Then we were off visiting Castles. All of them were linked to  Henry The 8th. 

 Going through the gate....

Up on the roof... and then down in the tunnels that went under the Castle...

The tunnels went on....

                                                 and on.... 

 

 ...and on...

  and on

 

 and on...getting darker and darker! At every turn...they looked the same...

 Well, if you're still with me, thanks you stopping by! I know it's gone on and on... but this is last weeks and this weeks T For Tunnels, I mean Tuesday! Trundle over to Altered Book Lover and join in!

16 comments:

  1. Spyder i thoroughly enjoyed that post.. late or not... So glad you came to T... One thing i found in life is thats its not always a good idea to 'go home again'.. nothing stays the same and it could be very disappointing.. Sometimes its best to let things live in your memory.. Lovely pictures of castles... thankyou for sharing.. Hubby and i lived in Germany for three years and loved going around to the different castles.. miss that! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi what a great post about going back to a previous place. Things sure do change don't they over the years. I hadn't been back to my home town in years and years-quite a surprise for me too all the changes.
    Loved seeing the castle that would be cool to visit for sure. Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. We don't have castles here so that was pretty cool, too. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say you can't go home again, but it sounds like an interesting trip to see how much had changed. I'd love a piece of that cake, yummy! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed every bit of this post! How lovely to return to where you grew up- though some of it is bittersweet. I would love to visit really anywhere in England:) The castles are my very favorite, and a pub stop would always be welcome;) Thanks for sharing, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are extremely enjoyable to follow as you searched your old territory. Once I was even invited into the house where I grew up, and was amazed because they had rescued all the lighting, bathroom fixtures, radiators, and similar things. They did redo the kitchen — I was happy for them for that! I rewarded them by sending a scan of a photo of the house from long before they bought it.
    Sorry to hear you were sick.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous post, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane with you 😁. That chocolate cake looks really good too! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent post Spider. They say you can never really go home again, and I'd say that is so true based on your post. Did going back make you sad? And those castles look great fun. That is one thing we don't have here in the US. Castle days were done by the time we were settled. I'm glad you stopped back by for T. Hope it was a happy day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great way to relieve wonderful memories. It looks like you visited some beautiful places. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems rather sad how things have changed from where you lived as a child. On the bright side, you were able to find someone who remembered the sweet shop and had similar memories as you.

    I saw headlines about the P & O boats. The info I got was the boat companies were fined for unsafe working conditions and they had to lay their employees off, since they don't have the money to make the necessary repairs.

    What an amazing castle. You really DID go on and on and on and on and on in those tunnels. Good thing you find your way out before nighttime.

    Thanks for sharing your trip to Kent, the boats in the harbor, the place where you lived as a child, and your take out cake and coffee with is for T this Tuesday, dear Lyn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting your old home can be disappointing. I did it this past year and it made me sad. Funny how things in your memory look so different. Still it sounds like a fun adventure and you got to see so much. Love all the pictures. Happy T-day. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post, great to look for your roots. The places I grew up i in London have all been flattened in the meantime, so sad. Kent was always so pretty with the orchards and hops. Happy t Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post that sent me down memory lane. I also remember Kent as the garden of England - it seems it has changed a lot. It was the 90's that I was there last, 25 years ago. Whenever I went to England I took those P&O ferries - left very early from the Southwest of Germany and arrived in London in the evening where I stayed with my friends. A long drive for sure. Why did P&O suddenly "retire" all their workers? I saw in the news those parked trucks right after Brexit, but now? With all the supply disruption that is going on, one would think they were happy to have all the trucks going over to the continent. Obviously not.
    When I was last in Germany I went to the place where I spent the first 4 years of my life. It was a small viallge (not so small anymore) and it took me a while to find the house where we lived, just out of my memory. Everything was so different. I rather keep my memories.
    Thank you for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the post, the tunnels, and the Poo-tin!
    Happy belated t day, and welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting trip. I liked seeing the photos. The cake looks delicious. Edwina Brown

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun trip down memory lane. I had to laugh about the sweet shop/pub mix up, and poo tin hahaha So sorry, RL got in the way, and I am terribly late. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! They make my day!!
Spam does not get read, eaten or published!


((Lyn))

WOYWW?

Just Keep On Creating!

JkoC adv button

I Made Top Three!

Search This Blog

Sliekje digi Images!

Sliekje digi Images!
Freebies!

Blog Archive

I love to Blog Hop!

I love to Blog Hop!

mim

Pink Paper Paradise

Crafty Card Makers

last visitor was from, French Guiana

free counters

WhimsicalWendy's Video Guide to...

WhimsicalWendy's Video Guide to...
Printing & Colouring Digital Stamps

Jaks AquaMarker Video Tutorial

Jaks AquaMarker  Video Tutorial
Click the picture

Jackqui Shows You How to....

Jackqui Shows You How to....
Colour with Copics & Prisma Pencils

Links to more Freebies @ Scrapbooking Supplies!

Free Scrapbooking Supplies